Do you konw the History of Ashland Wisconsin city?


Do you konw the History of Ashland Wisconsin city?

Ashland Wisconsin is a city in Ashland and Bayfield counties in the U.S. state of Wisconsin. The city is a port on Lake Superior, near the head of Chequamegon Bay. The population was 8,216 at the 2010 census, all of which resided in the Ashland County portion of the city. The decently-sized unpopulated Bayfield County portion is located in the city's southwest, bordered by the easternmost part of the Town of Eileen.

The city is situated at the junction of U.S. Route 2 and Wisconsin Highway 13. It is the home of Northland College, Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College, and the Sigurd Olson Environmental Institute.

Four flags have flown over the area around Ashland: Spanish, French, English and American. Eight Indian nations have lived on Chequamegon Bay. Later settlers included European explorers, missionaries and fur traders, and more recently, Yankees who platted and developed the lands, railroaders, shippers, loggers, entrepreneurs, and other settlers. The area was part of the Northwest Territory and was subsequently part of four successive territories before becoming part of the state of Wisconsin: Indiana Territory, Michigan Territory, Illinois Territory, and Wisconsin Territory.

About the time Christopher Columbus arrived in the New World, the Ojibwe people came to the land they called Sha-ga-waun-il-ong. This term has been translated numerous ways: "lowlands", the "needle", "the region of shallow water", and where "there are large extended breakers". Each is descriptive and suitably accurate.

The Ojibwe stayed on Chequamegon Point for about a century before leaving, first to settle on Madeline Island and then to move to the Sault region.

French fur traders Pierre d'Esprit, le Sieur Radisson and Medard Chouart, le Sieur des Groseillers were the first Europeans of record to visit Chequamegon Bay. They arrived in 1659 and built what has been called the first European dwelling place in Wisconsin. A historical marker is located at Maslowski Beach on U.S. Route 2 on the west end of Ashland. The monument was erected in 1929 by the Old Settlers Club.

The Ojibwe heartily welcomed the Frenchmen. Five years later, Father Claude-Jean Allouez arrived. A Jesuit missionary, he brought the first word of Christianity to Wisconsin's shores. Allouez built a chapel not far from Radisson's and Groseillier's stockade and remained at the Bay until 1669.

In 1854, Ohioans Asaph Whittlesey and George Kilborn set out from La Pointe to explore the head of Chequamegon Bay. Whittlesey built a 10 ft (3.0 m) × 14 ft (4.3 m) cabin in Ashland. His wife, Lucy, and daughter, Eugenia, joined him in August and prepared to winter in their new home. Signs of civilization quickly followed. The first community dance was held at their house. The Reverend L.H. Wheeler preached the first sermon on the first Independence Day that was observed there. It was the location of the first post office and polling place for county offices. Sunday school was also conducted on the premises.

1856 — First plat of Ashland registered
1870 — First Ashland brownstone quarried and shipped
1872 — First sawmill built by W.R. Sutherland
1872 — The Ashland Weekly Press is founded by Sam Fifield. It became a daily paper, over a decade later. The first issue of the Ashland Daily Press was March 5, 1888.
1874 — First brewery built, Ashland Brewing Company
1877 — Wisconsin Central Railroad connected Ashland to Chicago
1877 — Chequamegon Hotel opened, one block from current hotel
1887 — State legislature incorporated the City of Ashland
1889 — Wisconsin Central Depot constructed
1892 — Northern Wisconsin Academy opened (now Northland College)
1892 — Ashland Post Office built
1904 — Ashland High School opened
1929 — First airport opened
1940 — WATW radio went on the air
1970 — Establishment of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore
1972 — Memorial Medical Center opened
1984 — The West Second Street Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Second Street was later renamed Main Street.
1998 — Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center is built
2009 — Ore dock slated for demolition. Attempts by some community members to help save the historic structure were not successful.
2016 — New fire hall dedicated, replacing the historic century-old Ellis Fire Station.
2016 — From July 11th until August, Ashland suffered one of the worst storm seasons in its history, destroying highways that go to Ironwood and Marengo, as well as destroying a huge part of the Saxon Harbor, and flooding many basements. Three deaths were reported.


Next:Avoca Wisconsin - a village in Iowa County, Wisconsin, USA
Previous:Arkansaw Wisconsin - an unincorporated census-designated place in the eastern portion of the town of Waterville,USA
Open Term: Do you konw the History of Ashland Wisconsin city?
Categories : Home > U.S.Loare > Wisconsin
»Browse Wisconsin yellow pages



    YP Search: 852 822 634 910 940 830 759 860 565 800 535 651 622 726 801 885 991 932 672