Ivins, Utah - a city in Washington County,USA


Ivins, Utah is a city in Washington County, Utah, United States and is a part of the St. George Metropolitan Area as a suburb or "bedroom" community. The population was 6,753 at the 2010 census, and it was estimated at 6,930 in 2011. Although Ivins was listed as a town in the 2000 census, it became a city in 1998.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 10.3 square miles (27 km2), of which, 10.2 sq mi (26 km2) of it is land and 0.1 sq mi (0.26 km2) of it (0.68%) is water.

Ivins is near Tuacahn (an outdoor arts and amphitheater) and Snow Canyon State Park which draw many people to the area. There are many new planned developments (some with golf courses) near or in Ivins, joining the earlier Kayenta and Padre Canyon developments.

Prior to the arrival of Mormon settlers, this area was inhabited for thousands of years by the Paiute people and their ancestors. The Shivwits Band of Paiutes reservation is located immediately west of Ivins City.

Ivins was born out of the fulfilled dream of several men to bring water to the Santa Clara bench. This was not easy to accomplish. An eight-mile canal had to be built from the Santa Clara creek near the Shem smelter to the bench. This was not an easy undertaking, the route took them over steep mountain sides and deep ravines that needed to be siphoned or flumed. Work began in 1911 and the canal was completed in 1914. Ivins Reservoir was built to store the water in 1918. Civil engineers, Leo A. Snow and Clarence S. Jarvis first conceived the idea in 1909.

The first couple to move onto the project site were Mr. and Mrs. Alden Gray who arrived there 15 January 1922. Mr. and Mrs. Edward Tobler came a week later. Mr and Mrs. Samuel Gubler came in the spring, then Mr. and Mrs. Clement Gubler, Mr. and Mrs. Edward R. Frei, Jr., Mr. and Mrs. Leo F. Reber, and Mr. and Mrs. Reuben Ence. In 1924 Mr. and Mrs. Milo Ence, Mr. and Mrs. Rulon Stucki, Mr. and Mrs. Martin J. Gubler, Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Reber, and Mr. and Mrs. Loren Stucki joined the group. The irrigation company offered a lot to the first ten families to move to the new town, but since two came on the same day they gave eleven lots instead. These families were all young and willing to live in humble circumstances and work hard to make this new town a reality. Their children had to ride a horse to Santa Clara to school each day.

When residents decided they wanted a different name for their town than "Santa Clara Bench," they chose "Ivins" after the Mormon Apostle Anthony W. Ivins. He was asked and didn't object as long as they spelled it right. He then donated $100 toward a chapel and later sent a bell for it.


Next:Jensen Utah - a census-designated place in eastern Uintah County,USA
Previous:Howell, Utah - a town in northeast Box Elder County in northern Utah,USA
Open Term: Ivins, Utah - a city in Washington County,USA
Categories : Home > U.S.Loare > Utah
»Browse Utah yellow pages



    YP Search: AK  LD  ARM ENL INE INK ITT LEA OLL OPE AEF ALE AMS EID IDG OAN OBB OCK